Friday, October 25, 2013

ZENDALA DARE #77 No. 2 + MURPHY'S LAW


You all know how these sort of days go... if it can go wrong, it WILL go wrong.

Well, I've been having a whole week like that - at least as far as The Bright Owl's Zendala Dare #77 is concerned.  See, I love this template.  Love it.  LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.  My first go took like 25 minutes & was just something for fun, but my jittery hands kept me from doing anything even close to serious with it.

I recently found a flickr page full of tangles by Neil Burley.  Holy rollin moly, how good is he?!?!  I have a deep, ingrained love for the Craftsman, Art Nouveau, Art Deco & Organic Modernism movements, & he has created quite a few tangles that just seem to sing to me.  I found his Deco Star pattern first, & I knew that I was going to use it for dare #77.  Then everything just went wrong wrong wrong & I made things terribly over difficult trying to get perfection.

Art Deco isn't forgiving.  The straight lines are perfectly straight, the curves & circles have perfect proportions & the angles are razor sharp.  I drew this over & over & over & over again trying to get that perfection; resorted to using rulers (!) & a compass (!!) & a drafting circle template (!!!) & a 30-60-90 drafting triangle (!!!!)  & I STILL COULDN'T GET IT RIGHT! 

I'm telling you... Murphy's Law...

SO, I eventually had to just make myself finish.  & I have 5 copies exact same thing.  I left one b&w, then colored the rest in a sort of theme-like way.

DECOdala - tangles used: DECOSTAR, co2 

DECOdala -New York 


DECOdala - Hollywood




DECOdala - South West
DECOdala - Miami


 I've studied Art Deco quite a bit, & it's always stood out to me how different the colors used by different regions in the country were.  These are the color schemes that I seem to associate with each of these areas.  The most classical stuff always came from NY, Hollywood Deco to me doesn't seem to use as much gold as silver, & the more modern blue/blue-green/green's are prevalent.  The South West imbued their Deco with the colors of the desert, & the great, cutting-edge hot spot of the deco movement, Miami, was splashed with bright pastels & neon lights.

I had far more fun coloring these than I did drawing them. 


5 comments:

  1. You definitely spent some time and definitely like color. Your combinations are great. The nice thing about Zentangle® is that do not have to be exact. It is incorporating what happens. I once saw a quote that paraphrased is, Striving to do one's best is a worthwhile endeavor. Striving for perfection is neurotic and a terrible waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great paraphrased quote Donald - I may have to use this!

      Delete
  2. Love your art deco tiles, but it sounds like you didn't get much "Zen" in this dare! It's nice to hear about the reasons for the colors chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with Donald.
    I do like your zenddla's and love the different colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the variations in the color! It was fun to hear your descriptions of what colors were used where too.

    ReplyDelete