Wednesday, October 30, 2013

DIVA CHALLENGE #142 -or- THE DANGER ZONE!!

OK - this week's Diva Challenge #142 was to step outside of our comfort zones & into the DANGER ZONE.

I thought long & hard about the kinds of things I avoid, or don't like doing.  I made a list:
* I never really use organic, non-repetitive/tight patterned tangles
* I don't like to use only b&w/gray scale
* I have a hard time using strings
* I generally like to work with paper or board cut in perfect squares
* I find it difficult to throw symmetry out the window.
* I always sketch, sketch & re-sketch new tangles I'm learning before I ever put them down on paper
* I can always find a use for a ruler, compass & protractor - which is a Zentangle No-No.

I could go on further, but instead I'll just show you what I came up with.


tangles used: fern, zinger, decostar (modified into flower)
This first one is much looser & organic than anything I think I've done before.  I did this in gray-scale. Both fern & zinger are tangles I've never used.  I also have a tendency to not tangle with flowers at all (don't get me wrong, I can draw flowers for days - it's my favorite subject in any medium or style... but for some reason I just don't tangle with them.) 

next up:

tangles used: kandy ribnz, clothesline, fescu, por-fin, yew-dee, frillee, drack, asian fans, thumbprintz

First off - the paper.  This is a marbling that I did a few months back when experimenting with Mr. Sketch Scented Water Color Markers.  I know you all remember these things from when you were little.  I saw them in the store one day & snatched them up out of pure nostalgia.  Second, it's all done with black micron's.  Third (& most importantly,) each of these tangles are ones I've never even attempted before (excluding clothesline).  I didn't try them out in my sketch book on grids, I didn't use a pencil, ruler, compass, etc. to lay them out, & I started with a freehand string that I outlined in thick black lines to accentuate the use of the strings.  I really jumped in head first, & you know what, I really enjoyed doing this.  PLUS, it didn't turn out half bad!

I'd love to hear any comments, suggestions, criticisms... or anything else any of you'd like to say.

Have a happy, safe, & spooky Halloween!  I'll see you all once I'm done stuffing all the goblins back in the closet!

21 comments:

  1. I think you conquered all your "un comforts" with great class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you rocked this one! Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! When I was doing to one on the marbled paper, I definitely FELT like I was rockin' it!

      Delete
  3. Well, you should push that comfort level all the time because you have made two absolutely gorgeous pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering the fact that something I was wary about doing turned out to be fun, I'm going to keep trying to push my boundaries further & further! Thanks for the very kind compliment.

      Delete
  4. What are they both beautiful! And so very different, you did very well with things that are not in your comfort zone. Compliment,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Anne, you did a great job, your flowers are stunning, and the piece on the marbled paper is so beautiful. Great choices of patterns and nicely used the colors of the background as string to put your patterns on well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The strings! I was going to keep it my little secret that I drew the strings to sort of mirror the marbling on the paper - but you outed me! & that's a good thing - I take it as a compliment that you looked closely enough to see that. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Fun, I love your honesty Kathryn and willingness to break out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Shelly! I'm trying to stay honest & willing to try new (to me) things - that's the only way to truly learn!

      Delete
  7. You did a great job on both tiles and did a super job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a wonderful job! Both are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You go girl! Both are fun and fabulous in their own ways. I like seeing both the bluish-gray in zinger and the more neutral gray in the flowers in the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun & Fabulous is a Fantastic compliment - thanks so much!

      Delete
  10. Kathryn - you expressed your "danger zone" so well, and then got out there and hit them all head on! You've done a wonderful job in both tiles! I love the simplicity and flow of your first organic tile, but I love the detail and colour and choices of tangles in the second. You go girl! Great work!

    ReplyDelete