Tuesday, November 12, 2013

ZENDALA DARE #80

If you can label days as either hit or miss; my last 2 days have certainly been misses... at least as far as my attempts at The Bright Owl's Zendala Dare # 80 have been concerned.

I'm just... not very happy with how anything turned out.  I forced myself to finish each of these because I have a tendency to want to just trash things once I feel the first inkling that they are starting to go wrong.  Everyone wants their visions to turn out perfectly on the page, I'm no different.  But there are bits & pieces of each of the following that I do like.  & we can't get any better if we can't accept our mistakes & either learn from them or just plain move forward.  I was going to keep going at Dare #80 until I had something I was satisfied with, but I'm fairly certain it's the template that I'm finding so challenging.  My head just isn't wrapping around it! 

so here goes nothin'!!!

tangles used: hollibaugh, kandy snake, poke leaf, poke root
tangles used: decomonds

tangles used: ona

I've also had an issue of just being messy... wobbly lines, not staying inside the lines when I applied color, and being super smudgy on everything!  I hate smudges!! 

In other news, I turned 33 on the 9th.  I'll be celebrating with my family on the 23rd - everyone has been super busy - but that's fine with me!  I'm blessed to be able to gather with all my loved ones whatever chance I get.  SO, I got to have this past weekend entirely for myself, & I gotta say, it was awesome.  I took a couple naps, went & had brunch both mornings with a book (most people think it's weird to go out to eat by themselves, but I enjoy it wholeheartedly,) but the BEST part was having tons of free time to PLAY!!!!

Here's a sampling of my experimenting: 
First - colored pencils.  I bought this 75th anniversary set of Prismacolor Premier Soft Core Colored Pencils, & I've gotta say, I will never use another colored pencil AGAIN.
Prismacolor Premier Soft Core Colored Pencils - 75th Anniversary Set
     Here are 2 pages from my sketchbook from my colored pencil playtime
blending fun in greens & yellows
blending fun in blues & purples
The quality of these pencils is so amazing it's almost absurd.  The set came with both blending pencils & blending markers.  I could just sit around all day & fill page after page with just color & blender.

I've also been having quite the love affair with Derwent Inktense Pencils for quite some time now.  The intensity of color you can get with them is ridiculous!  Often, when I can't think of something specific to draw or paint, I'll just play with my initials.  
initial fun with Derwent Inktense Pencils
Well, that's all I've got for now.  This week's Diva's Challenge #144 is already floating around inside my head... & I LOVE DRAWING BUGS!, so this is going to be fun!




11 comments:

  1. I like all three of your tiles but the second one is my favorite nice work you do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cecile. I think the 3rd one is my favorite too!

      Delete
  2. Like Cecile the second one is my favorite.
    Your colored pages look great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne - another vote for #2... I love green
      & the colored pages were tons more fun than this challenge!

      Delete
  3. All three zendalas are lovely! Each of them has his own impression. My favorite is the second one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LonettA! 3rd vote for #2 - it's the green, isn't it? Of course it is, how can someone NOT love things that are beautiful shades of green!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you had a good birthday, Kathryn. Your tangles don't look "messy" to me at all. I think they are all very well done. I like the one in the middle best also, but I think it is because the tangle is new to me so I am intrigued by it. Enjoy all your pencils. I love mine too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jean. I love the Decodomes tangle - it's by Neil Burley, & I might be slightly obsessed with his patterns. Check out his website - & heres the URL for all his tangle patterns: http://perfectly4med.co.uk/category/tangle-patterns/ He has a really great mind for patterning!

      Delete
  5. I think all your zendalas are great! Not at all misses! (In my opinion...)
    And you're very lucky to have that great set of pencils! I have a smaller set and I baby them a little... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! & The pencils are totally covet-worthy. I get sad every time I have to sharpen one of them!

      Delete
    2. Kathryn, get a nail file, the rough papery kind, and use that to refresh points instead of sharpening them. Your pencils will last longer.

      Delete