Thursday, November 7, 2013

DIVA CHALLENGE #143 - UMT v. XXII - CRUZE

This morning I had my first Root Canal.  The good news is, the Endodontist numbed me up 'real good,' worked quickly, & there were no complications.  He said I should have no pain - from the actual procedure.  The bad news is that the technician cut the bajeebers out of my gums, & now that I'm getting the feeling back in my face it is REALLY SORE.  Bummer.

Anywhoooooo... on to the important stuff...

First week of the month & that means not just a new challenge from the diva, but also a UMT prompt.  This weeks Diva Challenge #143 was to use the tangle "Cruze" by CZT Caren Mlot.  I've been playing with this one since it showed up on TanglePatterns.com.  It's really deceptive - on first glance I was kinda like... whoaaaaa... but just like a ton of other folks who have done this challenge, once I saw the step-outs I breezed right through it.  It's really a fantastic tangle, & I've had a lot of fun in my sketch journal with it.  I did, however, have a really hard time figuring out what to do with it - not because I didn't have an idea, but because I had a MILLION of them.

I've done two ZIA's, & here they are:

tangles used: cruze

tangles used: cruze, torchon lace
Two very different pieces.  I've been playing with the idea of drawing Christmas cards for my loved ones this year to match the ornaments I've been planning on tangling (glass ornaments tangled using refillable acrylic paint pens.)  Thus, my inspiration for the first piece.  Another thing I have been really drawn to lately is drawing lace patterns.  I had this tiny 3x5 piece of blue canson, & decided to go at it with a white jellyroll pen for the second piece.

Overall, this was a fun challenge for me!

On a final note, Saturday is my 33rd birthday.  Which is awesome.  Wanna know what I got myself for my birthday???  A $995 buck root canal.  Which is not very awesome.  Although, a little birdie has told me that I'm getting a ton of Tria Markers.  & that is awesomeness times a bajillion!

I hope everyone's having a great week!  As alllllways, comments - critiques, criticism, & maybe a compliment or 2 - are totally welcome.  Please leave a message after the beep.

beep.

14 comments:

  1. Both are lovely! Especially I like the second one. It looks like bobbin lace on the blue background. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss LonettA, thank you so very much! Saying that it looks like bobbin lace is a huge compliment - that's exactly what I was going for!

      Delete
    2. Lovely designs, what are the round designs drawn on? I have done paintings of lace and you have done a beautiful job drawing it into your design. I never thought to do that, but I will now try it.

      Delete
  2. What fun were the orbs! I love the lace like quality of your second one too and agree with LoneattA that it looks like bobbin lace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kate, the orbs WERE A BLAST! A lot of fun. I don't think my obsession with drawing lace will go away soon, so hopefully I'll be able to post more & it will look just as good!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE the round red one! My sketchbook is filled with attempts to make Cruze go around a corner! I got one corner to look good, but it all fell apart at the next turn, lol.
    A birthday root canal sucks :o( Hope the markers make up for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss Carol! Turning Cruze into a circle was quite challenging to figure out, but I had one of those "A-HA!" moments & finally got it. I spent a lot of time looking at the variations that came along with the step-outs of the pattern. The was I did it was to draw a circle that would represent the mid line of the pattern; then, add the hatch lines in groups of 5 all around the circle perpendicular to the mid line with the desired spacing.

      I don't know if I did a good job explaining that.

      Delete
  4. You are a real master with this tangle. I LOVE the lacy feeling of the second one.
    Hope you will not suffer much from the root canal treatment.
    Hope you will have the best birthday ever!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Anne, thank you so much for the fantastic compliment... I don't know if "master" is the right word, but it's super kind of you to say.

      Also, thanks for the birthday wish! I'm gonna try real hard to make this year a good one! :)

      Delete
    2. Well Kathryn, you did it ...... your comment on my blog brought tears to my eyes. But they are too kind; I just gave back something that belonged to that lady as I would like someone to do to me.
      But, thank you for your loving words.

      Delete
    3. White on blue.....so clean and beautiful!







      Delete
  5. Great job. I like the lacy one on the blue paper. Like your orbs also. Will look great on an ornament. Hope you recover quickly without too much discomfort from your root canal. Hope you have a great birthday tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday a bit late. I hope you are recovering quickly from the root canal. I really love the red orb. I agree that you have mastered this pattern. The lace on the second piece is simply amazing--at first I thought it was actually lace and you were doing a mixed media piece. You are very talented indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you had a nice birthday. I looked up those markers. You will have to let us know what you think of them. They look interesting. All of your tangles look great and I really like the lace work on the blue paper.

    ReplyDelete