Thursday, November 14, 2013

DIVA CHALLENGE #144 & I'M TOTALLY BUGGIN OUT!

I love drawing bugs.  Always have.  I don't necessarily like most bugs on the loose in my immediate proximity, but I can't deny that these little arthropods are tiny jewels on this big blue & green earth.  This week's Diva Challenge #144 was to use or hide bugs within colored tangles.

If you haven't yet done this challenge & are looking for inspiration, you should check out the work done by Eugène Séguy here & here. Heck, even if you've done it already, you should have a look.  You'll never look at insects the same way again.

Here's 2 pieces I've done for the challenge; a ZIA & a zendala:
tangles used: decostar (modified), fiddler, diva dance
tangles used: tipple, fishnet, all about v's
These were super fun.  

The first one is done with Sakura Microns, Prismacolor Premier Soft Core Colored Pencils & Derwent Inktense Pencils on cold press wc paper.  When I was looking at some of the butterflies, I noticed that the support structure that runs through their wings looks a lot like Diva Dance...  I hadn't yet decided I was going to draw butterflies, but that sealed it for me.  I've got a couple other favorites in that one as well - my modified Decostar flower, & fiddler.  (Fiddle head ferns are one of my favorite plants ever... I'm pretty sure they are magical.)

The second one, my beetle zendala, sort of just threw itself together.  I had drawn a beetle on tracing paper, then made a copy of it.  I left it on my desk for a while, came back, & the one on the tracing paper was on top of the copy, slightly askew, & I realized that if I put 5 of these together they would make a perfect circle!  This one was done on white 90lb Strathmore mixed media paper with brush tip markers & microns.

Unfortunately, I only own one Sakura JellyRoll pen - a white one, so I couldn't use them for this challenge, but I really think that even though in pictures & scans the glittery or metallic finishes don't show well, both of these would look great with some shine.

That's all for now, folks!  Don't forget to go check out Seguy's work!  
Please critique the mess outta my work below!  Really give me some constructive criticism!  

Or just say "HI!" that's cool too.

15 comments:

  1. Well, Kathryn, I wish I could share your enthusiasm for insects. Yes, they have beautiful colors and designs, but they do make me shudder. I liked your first design as the "bugs" aren't prominent. The second one though, well I see those jaws chomping down on tender skin. EWE.... HAHA. Really, they are both beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used with my Kiddos at school Eugène Séguy for some time. When I started this one for me, I didn't even think about him! (Duh!) It's really the perfect go to! I really love your beetle zendala! Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Eugène Séguy really did some incredible work, didn't he!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful, the zendala in bugsform!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both are wonderful! Especially I love your zandala. It´s gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh...super impressed! The Zendala is just amazing! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are amazing, love the flow of the first and the detail and beautiful structure of your beetle Zendala. Beautiful work and color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Daniele - That's a huge compliment coming from someone who's work I admire so much (yours, of course!)

      Delete
  7. You did so very well on both, my favorite is the first one. Thanks for sharing the links, beautiful pictures there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your beetles in the mandala! The colors work really nicely and they create a very unique artwork! Nice to see such a different bug used

    ReplyDelete